The University of Melbourne has established a new senior academic position designed to enhance the institution’s links with industry and business.
John Pollaers, the Chairman of the Australian Advanced Manufacturing Council, as well as former Victorian Premiers John Brumby and Ted Baillieu, and the Vice-President of IBM’s research division are among a dozen current appointments in the inaugural round of Enterprise Professors.
Further appointments will be made as faculties identify suitable candidates.
The question of how universities and industry can best collaborate has been a key focus of policymakers and academics for years, said Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Professor James McCluskey.
“Having people with significant expertise in business development working alongside faculty researchers is part of the solution and one we are committed to supporting fully.”
The University has an ambitious program to double its industry-related research outcome by 2020 and grow its partnerships with industry, government, external research agencies and community partners.
“These roles will help ensure our research output is targeted at solving problems and making an impact, helping us achieve these dual aims,” said Professor McCluskey.
The appointments draw in people from diverse industries and professions, collectively bringing with them deep leadership knowledge, skills and networks that will create new opportunities and inspire the University of Melbourne research community, said Provost, Professor Margaret Sheil.
The University has also appointed Doron Ben-Meir to the newly created role of Vice-Principal (Enterprise) as it deepens its commitment to research translation and industry collaboration.
Following is a list of the current Enterprise Professors and the faculty in which they will be based:
- John Pollaers (Faculty of Business and Economics)
- John Brumby (Faculty of Business and Economics)
- Ted Baillieu (Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning)
- Joanna Batstone (Melbourne School of Engineering)
- Colin McLeod (Faculty of Business and Economics)
- Lisa Paul AO PSM (Faculty of Arts)
- Don Henry (Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning)
- Jurg von Kanel (Melbourne School of Engineering)
- Manfred Grohmann (Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning)
- Patrick Maes (Melbourne School of Engineering)
- David Morgan AO (Faculty of Business and Economics)
- Andrew Cuthbertson AO (Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences)