A high-level cast of dozens of Australia’s top thought leaders, including Prime Minister Tony Abbott, various ministers and Australia’s Chief Scientist recently attended the inaugural meeting of the Commonwealth Science Council.
Eight priorities, including supporting the development of high value and innovative manufacturing in Australia, were earmarked for further attention.
Among the challenges discussed were:
- The need to understand how to better develop manufacturing
- How to identify the areas on which Australia should focus
- Building relationships within the research sector and business world
- Engaging with risk management rather than avoiding it
- Reducing the environmental impact of manufacturing.